Operations Research in Aachen.
Operations Research (OR) is planning and decision support based on mathematical models and algorithms.
OR from Aachen combines state-of-the-art mathematical optimization and the design, analysis and implementation of computer science algorithms with diverse applications. We cover the whole range from basic science to practice projects. Since 2010.
Math is everywhere!
In our everyday life we find countless applications of mathematics. For applied mathematical optimization, these occur particularly often in the areas of industry, technology and society. Every time decisions and choices must be made or sequences and configurations determined, we can formulate the available options through mathematical models and determine the best possible solutions using modern algorithms. Our practice pages provide an impression of the broad range of applications.
It is not known well enough that mathematics is helpful for making decisions. In fact its significance and usefulness cannot be overstated considering the developments in digitalization, industry 4.0 and artificial intelligence. Our goal is to make mathematics more accessible to the people. Therefore, we provide impetus for research also in related disciplines, teach operations research in a variety of degree programs and closely cooperate with companies in different practice projects. If you would like to join us in promoting mathematics, please contact us.
Chair OR in numbers
Science is often team sports. Therefore, we also research together with other scientist from RWTH Aachen University, Germany and abroad. This leads to joined publications with different teams at RWTH Aachen University like the Chair II of Mathematics, the Chair of Technical Thermodynamics or the Institute of Mechanism Theory, Machine Dynamics and Robotics. At the national level we cooperate, e.g., with the Zuse Institute Berlin. Our international research alliances include HEC Montréal, Lancaster University and ETH Zurich.
Media, Blogs, Podcasts
- "subject to", informal interviews, Marco Lübbecke, 2021
- Aachener Zeitung, Mathematiker der RWTH suchen eine Lösung für ein politisches Problem, 2019
- Spiegel Online, Wahlrechtsreform: Wie Deutschland mit 250 Wahlkreisen aussähe , 2019
- Spiegel, Das perfekte Modell, 2019
- buzzITtalk, Optimized Decision Making with Analytics, 2018
- Inform Blog, Operations Research ist das Salz in der Industrie 4.0-Suppe, 2017
- elektronik.net, Ich würde den Mathematik-Unterricht informatischer machen, 2016
- Der Modellansatz: Modell 110 - Operations Research, 2016
- elektronik.net, Neue Mathematik für die Industrie, 2016
- Digitale Exzellenz, Industrie 4.0: Digitalisierung und Vernetzung allein reichen nicht, 2016
- Aachener Zeitung, Zahlen sind unser Wegweiser durch die Welt, 2014
- Zeit Online, Mathematik ist überall, 2009
- DFG Science TV, Diskrete Optimierer, 2009